Kingswood: Activity Center
The Township is undertaking a project to renovate the former Park Maintenance Building at Kingswood Park into an Activity Center to be used for recreational programming.
Service Department - Director of Parks
Overview / Connection to Park Master Plan
Kingswood Park is 96 acres and centrally located in the southern portion of Deerfield Township on Irwin Simpson Road along the I-71 corridor. In 2019, Deerfield Township completed the Comprehensive Park Master Plan in which Kingswood Park was designated as the Signature Park in Deerfield Township.
As part of the Park Master Plan, concept plans were prepared for each of our major parks based on the findings and outcomes of the planning process and community meetings for the Parks Master Plan. The conceptual plans illustrate how to expand community offerings for recreational amenities as identified through the community needs assessment and level of service at existing park lands and facilities.
The projects designed for 2022 at Kingswood Park have been taken primarily from the conceptual plans illustrated in the Park Master Plan based on recommendations from the community that attended the Park Master Plan Meetings. The following is an overview of the renovation of the old Park Maintenance Building into an Activity Center for recreational programs.
Reviewing the concept plan from the Park Master Plan, there was a need identified to develop a small area south of Innovation Way to be utilized as a Civic/Community Space. This led our Architects to focus on a space that would allow camps, programs and multi-use facilities by the community.
The site has a building that was a former maintenance building which is the approximate size needed for the community space. After completing an evaluation of the building it was determined that we could convert the maintenance building into a functional community building with a storage area for programming and events.
What is the project timeline?
- KZF Design was approved by the Board of Trustees to provide design work and interior renovations, which is currently underway and anticipated for completion in 2021.
- Deerfield Staff continue to work on renovating the former Park Maintenance Building into a Community Activity Center at Kingswood Park.
- This project was discussed at the June 15, 2021 and November 16, 2021 Trustee Work Sessions. Please click here for a link to meeting agendas, minutes, and videos.
- The contractor has begun work on-site; this project is currently in progress.
- Anticipated project completion is late 2022.
Where exactly will this project take place?
- Existing building on the south side of the park; west of the Community Pavilion.
- This building was originally used for the park maintenance shop prior to consolidation into the Service Department.
- The building will be renovated into an Activity Center to be used for recreational programs.
- To view the preliminary plans for the renovations, please click here.
How is the project funded?
- This project is being funded through the Deerfield Township Park Levy.
What is the benefit of this project to the community?
- The Park Master Plan identified a lack of indoor facilities for programming.
- This facility will provide additional internal space for expanding Township programming.
Additional Forms and Files: